About​

established in 1719

Bishopsteignton Community Centre was originally founded in 1719 as the village School by a local farmer, Christopher Coleman. The oldest part of the building dates back to 1726 and was originally run as a charity school for the children of poor labourers in the village.

Over the years the building was enlarged and additional rooms were added in the 1850’s, 1876 and 1923. The building ceased to be used as a school in 1973 and was eventually turned into a community centre after many months of fundraising by local villagers.

Community Centre continues to focus on offering space for villagers to use and ensure it remains at the heart of the village life.

A grade 2 listed building and registered charity the Centre continues to be run by a small dedicated group of volunteers: –


Henry Merritt – Trustee / Deputy Chairman
Maurice Dicks – Treasurer
Alison Prestt – Trustee / Booking Clerk
Dominic Geldard – Trustee
Nick Farrell – Trustee
Kate Yeo
James Hooper